Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Witch Catcher by Mary Downing Hahn

Stars: *****
Accuracy: *

Synopsis: Jen and her father have just moved into an old mansion they inherited . Things are going well until Moura shows up and seem a little TOO interested in the antiques in the mansion. She drives a wedge between Jen and her father and when the witch catcher Jen found breaks, a strange girl appears and Moura become quite sinister. Jen is caught in a war and the fate of an enchanted race and her family is at stake.

Review: I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book even though the witch was the "bad-guy." It had be gripped from the beginning and I had trouble putting it down. That doesn't often happen to me with books for kids. I often felt as if I were there with Jen, helping her. I recommend this book to kids ages 9 and up.

Accuracy: This book is a far cry from being accurate to true witches. The witches in this book were evil and could cast spells that shot like lightning from their fingertips. The most accurate thing was that the fairies were shown to be generally good but untrustworthy which is what those who believe in fairies perceive them to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the witch catcher was awesome. I loved it. I couldn't stop reading it.